Why the "Happy" Lawyer?

Years ago, shortly after I began practicing law, I had to get a new headshot for the firm’s website.  After adjusting the lighting and straightening my suit, the photographer asked me, “So, what kind of lawyer do you want to be?”  I asked what he meant, and he explained that I could choose my persona for the picture — would I look serious? Aggressive? Calm?
“Happy,” I said.  “I want to be a happy lawyer.”
He seemed surprised by this answer, and perhaps he should have been. The New York Times has reported that “lawyers struggle with substance abuse, particularly drinking, and with depression and anxiety more commonly than some other professionals.”  In fact, the American Bar Association notes shows that one in three practicing lawyers are problem drinkers, 28% suffer from depression, and 19% show symptoms of anxiety. This could be because "two character traits—perfectionism and pessimism—are prevalent among lawyers and may make them prone to anxiety."
Happy, indeed.
No one is happy all of the time – not in a career, not in life.  But I do genuinely enjoy my work, and my colleagues are like family to me.  If my picture were taken today, I would again choose to describe myself as the happy lawyer.  And some would argue that happy lawyers are better lawyers. Although each person is different, and circumstances and genetic disposition play a meaningful role, here are three tips for being happier in the field:

  1. Take care of yourself. When case loads are heavy or contentious files are heating up, it is easy to sacrifice sleep, healthy eating, and exercise. In my practice, I might travel several hours to and from an evening meeting, which makes it all too easy to get fast food on the way home before sleeping a few short hours and rising early to do it all again (plus, you know, packing school lunches and attending to the other tasks of parenthood). But we all know that adequate sleep, food, and exercise are essential to our general sense of well-being and productivity Making exercise, healthy eating, and adequate sleep a routine, rather than an occasional luxury, makes it easier to ensure you are taking care of yourself during your most stressful work times.
  2. Find a healthy way to handle stress. Whether it's running, yoga, meditation, reading novels, or hiking, find the thing that gives your brain a break from ruminating. (Being outside with my kids is definitely my thing these days.) As lawyers, we are trained to be searching the horizon for risks and threats; mindfulness and other contemplative activities can force your brain back into the present. This not only makes us happier, but it makes us better decision-makers, too.
  3. Get organized. This may depend on personality, but my stress level skyrockets if I am not organized. There are as many systems for organizing tasks and deadlines as there are individuals, but the key is finding the system that works for you. Or keep trying a new system every few months, like I do. Having all of my deadlines and tasks organized on my calendar and a spreadsheet reduces those moments of 3 a.m. panic. And when I do wake up thinking about something that needs to be done, I can quickly add it to my cloud-based spreadsheet and go back to sleep.

Whether or not you practice law, what are your tips for minimizing stress in your job?  Share in the comments.



Comments

Popular Posts